Wednesday, January 26, 2011

004. >> Idol Ideation [Week 2]

Two hours jam pack full of Idol tonight. Let's go!

Idol is my fave show so I'm going to try to blog about it when I can. Unfortunately I do karate on Thursday nights and I don't get home before 9. Looks like I'll be missing Idol those nights. AI is a show I can only watch live. If I miss it I just read the recaps on the web. But Wednesday nights are a good night for me to chill with my couch, my TV, Fox and Ryan Seacrest.


I’m a big American Idol fan by trade. I love to watch the show, get involved, snark on it, vote for my fave. I know it’s a big deal to have a dream and go for it! That’s why I like American Idol. It gives people the platform to start living the life they always wanted to lead. But American Idol is also a TV show. That means it’s mostly for our entertainment so I laugh and get offended and root for people and cringe with embarrassment. When it comes to judging the talent I’m not exactly as harsh as Simon but I’m not a push-over either. I live blogged my thoughts during the show.


1. 16 year old Country Deep Throat

I seem to be the minority with this one but I didn’t like him. He’s just not my style. I love deep voices, but on grown men. And I don’t like country music. I can only tolerate like two Carrie Underwood songs and Need You Now by Lady Antebellum. Now find me a 27 year old handsome guy singing some deep Barry White tunes... hell yeah. Bring it on, please. But it would be nice to have a lot of musical diversity this season.

2. Joe Repka

The 19 year old who literally looks 40. The K-100 shtick is not that funny. You can tell they are making fun of him but it’s a lot more funny when the person is in on the joke. I’m not sure this guy is self-aware and I’m scared to hear him sing. He’s not as bad as you’d expect. It’s kinda funny he’s singing like an acapella group, like all the parts. It’s not amusing. NEXT!

3. Emma something

The 15 year old drove most of the 12+ hr drive to Milwaukee... sounds like hell. The problem with 15 year olds are... you can’t really make fun of them. Because they are so sincere and innocent and bright faced and cute. That’s why I don’t want them on the show. You want to root for them but then when they suck you can’t and you feel like a bad person. Why put me through that Idol? She needs work. She needs practice. She’s not ready yet. There’s no reason for the age to start at 15! Raise the age to 30. She’s a sweet girl but it’s a no. Unfortunately, Steven Tyler screwed it up. I don’t think she’ll last in Hollywood.

Time for the montage of funny/bad auditions. The one who is screaming her way through the audition is particularly tragic. The rest of them were unmemorable. It happened two minutes ago, I already forgot them. Except this exchange.

“That was terrible!”
“What was terrible?”
“Pitch. Tone. Sound. Everything about singing.”
LMAO. Who knew Randy could be funny?

4. Naima Adedapo

She’s got dreads, kids, a sob story and a dream. This better be good you guys. They like her. I didn’t get any sort of reaction or emotion from her, personally. I think she seems sweet. Her voice didn’t make me wanna jump off any tall buildings. So... good for her! But it also didn’t make me wanna vote for her or care if she makes it past Hollywood hour one.

Ryan is looking weird. I’m not sure what it is. I think he’s too skinny. He’s just not in it enough. Show needs more Ryan! Meanwhile there’s more bad auditions and camera dude just got flipped on. He broke the camera. I’d be pissed and also his face is probably broke.

The brush guy was trying to be the new Pants on the Ground but nobody’s got NOTHING on General Larry Platt, yeah boooooooooooooooyyyeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

5. Jerome

I should like this guy. He’s cute, he sings R&B... he has some charisma and moves but... I just feel eh. He screamed too much for me. I’m gonna have to hear him sing something else before I get too excited. He needs to tone down the loudness and show me the real tone of his voice.

6. Thia

Another youngin. She’s pretty. She’s also loud. All these 15 year olds saying “I watched Idol since I was in diapers!” makes anyone feel old. I didn’t really get a sense of her voice since she sang a copycat version of Chasing Pavements and it’s a very stylized song... so I don’t really have any feelings for her. She probably won’t make the cut.

Yay, it’s time for some sore losers! I need a laugh. After the break of course.

7. Nathaniel Jones

He’s a bit awkward but I like his hobby. It takes a lot of passion, I think. There was a civil war reenactment near my school once. It was scary. “No. He’s not a hippie! Hippies believe in SEX!” How do you think you were created Mr. Jones? As expected, this dude sucks. In fact, it’s quite painful to hear him sing with his dead eyes. J Lo can barely keep it together. Steven Tyler is very confusing.

8. Molly Swensen
Harvard and the White House aren’t good enough for this 22 year old. Now she’s going to conquer American Idol. I bet she’s a great singer too. Some people are just good at everything while being tall, blonde, skinny and pretty. This girl is one of them. Maybe she’ll crack under the pressure like Didi Benami. Only time will tell. I think she can get far. Can I take her place at the white house?!

Steven Tyler is the new Paula. I’m convinced. He’ll be the glue that holds the show together. And he’ll be that positive force people need on the judges panel. This was proved to me when he said “That was outstanding!” with no hint of irony or anything less than sincerity after Nathaniel sang.

9. Tiwan Strong

He’s wearing a lot of white! He’s got some old school soul in him. Maybe a little too old school for this show tho. It’ll be interesting to see how he progresses. Put some church into Idol. His gamily already seems cool. I love a good family on Idol.

10. CPA

I didn’t really listen but he sounded okay. I want to see more of him. He seems like he has a great personality waiting to come out.

11. Vernika

It’s not about your looks, honestly. You ruined such a beautiful song. No exit interview with Ryan? That’s the best part of the show! And when you say “I don’t wanna be on camera” that’s why you’re going to be all over the TV show.

12. Scott Dangerfield

This dude reminds me of my fave American Idol contestant of all time Anoop Desai. Because he’s like unassuming, college student looking guy, geeky but he has a great voice that’s unusual and awesome. I definitely want to hear more from him and the Idol makeover is gonna make him hot. This is exciting! I tentatively have someone to root for.

13. Crazy Packer Fan Girl

Bieber in opera? I’m not sure what the joke is supposed to be. She needs to spend some time getting ready for the superbowl and step away from the Idol. I think she thinks she’s funny. She seems like a fun girl. I like her hair but the outfit is awful.

14. Alyson

Steven: “You look like you could be one of my... nope, can’t say it.” LMAO. She says she wants to give Idol an edge but I’ve seen edgier. The rock girl can do well on Idol, I think. She’s nothing special. The thing I like about her is that she wants to be rock and edgy but she’s so giggly and cute. But she’s standing in front of her idol! Steven used pitchy on her. This can’t be good. Plus he was frightened by her singing. Um.... but he put her through. It was sweet.

15. Chris Medina

The biggest sob story of the night. His fiance was in a big accident with a traumatic brain injury and now she’s... brain damaged. Anyway, he has a great story but it’s just not something for you to use to get ahead in AI. I’m not a fan of sob stories. I just wanna hear people sing. But Idol has really cut back on the sob stories so far. So just one big story for the night is understandable. But it doesn’t sit right with me how he’s parading her around when she obviously has no idea what’s going on. It doesn’t sit right at all. She can’t consent to being on TV. It made me feel gross, frankly. She has no control over her life. Why put her on TV like that in front of 30 million people? I just didn’t like it. It wasn’t right, even with the best of intentions and I don’t believe anyone had the best of intentions for her in that moment.

Final Thoughts:

Not much to be excited about this week. I feel like we’re really going to be slogging through auditions. I can’t wait for Hollywood week. That’s when the real excitement starts, when we get to really start to know the contestants and pick our favorites. My early fave is Scott Dangerfield and I’m hoping he makes it to the semi-finals. I still have faith this season of idol can pick up. It’s an addiction. I’m going to stick with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment